Girls Tennis Plays in the Point Loma Invitational

Menlo+varsity+girls+tennis+poses+for+a+photo+in+San+Diego.+Photo+courtesy+of+Bill+Shine.+

Menlo varsity girls tennis poses for a photo in San Diego. Photo courtesy of Bill Shine.

Samantha Stevens, Sports Editor

The girls varsity tennis team traveled to San Diego to play in the Point Loma Invitational from Thursday Sept. 27 to Sunday Sept. 30. The Knights ended the weekend  2-2.

The team departed for the 10-hour drive on Thursday during lunch. Once there, the girls prepared for full days of matches against other California teams on both Friday and Saturday.

They lost their first match 2-4 against Dana Hills High School on Friday morning, though the individual matches were painfully close. Later that day, the girls played Westview High School and crushed them 6-0. After two tennis matches under the San Diego sun, the girls got to take a trip to the beach.

The Knights had similar results the next day, when they won 6-0 against Palisades Charter High School in the morning and lost 2-4 against Monte Vista High School in the afternoon.

Though the Knights came home from the tournament empty-handed, there were some positives for individuals. Senior Taylor Gould, the number two singles player, did not lose a single match the entire weekend. In addition, senior doubles-player Vivian Liu is slowly, but steadily, coming back from a health issue that occured in early Aug. She had to be hospitalized for rhabdomyolysis in her upper leg, which is a breakdown of muscle tissue that releases a damaging protein into the blood that harms the liver and kidney. Despite her muscle atrophy after being bedridden for a week, Liu has been fighting hard on the court.

An additional positive of the tournament was the team-bonding that was able to be developed towards the beginning of the season. Many of the players noted that their favorite parts of the trip occured when they were spending time together, either at the beach or on the bus to and from San Diego. For Liu, her favorite part of the trip was spending time with her teammates during the two bus rides.

Looking forward, the tennis team has a big week coming up with three matches back-to-back. On Tuesday, Oct. 9, the team will be playing at Sacred Heart Prep. Then on Wednesday Oct. 10, the girls will have a home-court advantage against Menlo-Atherton. Lastly, on Thursday Oct. 11, the girls will be at Crystal Springs Uplands School.