Four Valentine’s Day Rom-Coms

Creative Commons Image: background from akauk.com.

Elisabeth Westermann, Opinions Editor

There’s no better way to spend Valentine’s Day weekend than with these four movies.

When Harry Met Sally… (1989)

Trailer

Many critics consider this to be the best rom-com of all time; it’s practically impossible to not to have fun while watching this movie. The film begins when Harry and Sally, recent graduates of the University of Chicago, drive together to New York to start their careers, and it tracks their relationship for 12 years while they go from mutual dislike, to not speaking, to good friends, to … well I won’t give away the ending. The movie tackles the question raised by Harry during their car ride, whether a man and a woman can really be just friends, with cleverness, good humor and warmth. The witty back and forths and outstanding acting by Billy Crystal (as Harry) and Meg Ryan (as Sally) make this movie exceptional and one of the most beloved by audiences since it first hit theaters.  

Harry and Sally talking at a diner. Creative Commons Image: Peter K. Levy on Flickr.

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)

Trailer

Four Weddings and a Funeral is a hilarious and vibrant movie that refreshingly breaks away from many of the traditional rom-com clichés and stereotypes, with more 3-dimensional characters, more realistic (in some cases) romantic relationships, and a focus on friendship. While the movie’s central plot revolves around the romance between an endearingly bumbling young British man, Charles (played by Hugh Grant), and a radiant American, Carrie (played by Andie MacDowell), the heart of the movie lies in the interactions and experiences of a quirky and diverse group of friends. If you’re looking for a more unconventional rom-com or just want to enjoy a great, critically acclaimed film, this movie is the one for you.

To All the Boys I’ve Ever Loved Before (2018)

Trailer

There is no doubt that many of us fell in love with this movie when it first came out on Netflix last August, but whether it’s your first or fifth time watching it, you are in for an enjoyable hour and 45 minutes. While To All the Boys I’ve Ever Loved Before has its fair share of cliché moments and may not be the most sophisticated of films, it is the ultimate feel-good movie, and its characters are endearingly quirky and loveable. Once high school junior Lara Jean’s (played by Lana Condor) secret love letters are mysteriously set out to her crushes, a variety of problems are caused that Lara Jean tries to resolve through starting a fake relationship with popular lacrosse player Peter Kavinsky (played by Noah Centineo).

Clueless (1995)

Trailer

While you might not think of Clueless as a rom-com, it really does belong in that category. After all, it is based on Jane Austen’s novel Emma. The movie focuses on popular and ultra-wealthy high schooler Cher Horowitz’s trials in love, match-making, friendship and do-gooding. What makes this movie great is its ability to approach high school romance in a satirical yet ultimately uplifting way and, similarly, to make spoiled and, well, clueless Cher loveable and endearing. If you are looking to laugh about the teenage condition, you can’t go wrong with this film.

Other fun rom-coms to check out include: Valentine’s Day, 10 Things I Hate About You, Bridesmaids, Blended, The Other Woman, Crazy Stupid Love, and The Proposal.