Boys Lacrosse Falls to Rival SHP

The Knights driving towards the goal in their 2018 game against Sacred Heart Prep. Photo courtesy of Pam Tso McKenney.

Sarah Norum, Staff Writer

On March 13, the varsity boys lacrosse team played in their second league game against their rival, Sacred Heart Preparatory, resulting in a 12-6 loss. Prior to this game, they lost 16-2 to St. Ignatius in the first league game, and 11-9 in a pre-season game against Marin Academy.

The first half started slow, but junior co-captains Samson Axe and Ryan Young made two quick shots, resulting in a 5-2 first-quarter score, and a 10-2 halftime score. Junior Cole Kastner also attempted at goal in the first couple of minutes, but his shot was saved. Menlo’s goalie, sophomore Theo Kim, made eight close saves throughout the game, with quick turnarounds to move the ball up the field. Even though the Knights came back with more stamina in the second half, it was a tough fight through the third and fourth quarters, resulting in a 12-6 loss.

According to Axe, the Knights felt that they underperformed and were disappointed with the result. “Generally, the game did no go as we hoped. We knew Prep would be a tough game, but we didn’t prepare well enough during practice,” Axe said. “We always start flat against Prep, and in this game, nothing changed.”

The team plans on fixing their smaller mistakes in order to bring their A game this weekend. “For the next game, we are going to try and clean up all the turnovers and mistakes,” Axe said. “Overall, we got in our own way, which caused us to lose the game.”

Despite this disappointing loss, the Knights redeemed themselves against Acalanes High School this past Saturday, Mar. 16. Menlo won 16-3.