In Photos: Menlo Families Celebrate Mother’s Day

Freshman Alea Marks and junior Ella Marks pose with their mother, Laurel Marks, for a portrait. Photo courtesy of Ella Marks.

Sadie Stinson, Photo Editor

Freshman Ellie Hardegree, junior Bailey Hardegree, Katie Hardegree and Julie Cluggage smile for a photo while enjoying a Mother’s Day brunch. According to Bailey Hardegree, the family “had Mother’s Day brunch that included homemade cinnamon rolls, lemon bars and avocado toast with poached eggs.”

“We normally have some sort of special breakfast or brunch on Mother’s Day,” she said. “We are a big breakfast family!” 

Photo courtesy of Bailey Hardegree.

Junior Alix Borton displays her handmade pillowcase and homemade Montreal bagels. According to Borton, on Mother’s Day she made her mom breakfast in bed. “She is Canadian and went to school in Montreal, so I made her Montreal bagels,” she said. Burton also noted that she “gave her a present that I’d been working on for the past few weeks. It’s a hand-embroidered pillowcase of Vancouver, with a field of poppies because they are her favorite flower.”

Photos courtesy of Alix Borton.

Victor Li, Vivian Li, junior Yvonne Li and Ryan Li (from left to right) pose for a photo during a Mother’s Day breakfast. “On Mother’s Day, we always let my mom sleep in a little, and that entire day we do all the things that she normally has to do, like making meals and cleaning the house. This Mother’s Day, since we are in quarantine, we are able to do some fun activities that my mom loves, like pilates and hiking,” Yvonne Li said.

Photo courtesy of Yvonne Li.

Sophomore Peter Hanson displays the Trader Joe’s vanilla cookies that his family ate on Mother’s Day. “Every Mother’s Day my family watches a movie together and eats Trader Joe’s vanilla Joe-Joes. This year, we watched the movie ‘La La Land,’” Hanson said. 

Photo courtesy of Peter Hanson.

Laurel Marks, freshman Alea Marks and junior Ella Marks (from left to right) pose for a photo on the left. Displayed on the right are the Mother’s Day gifts that Ella Marks and her siblings purchased for her mom. “Every Mother’s Day my sister, our younger brothers and I will all plan to surprise my mom with something special,” Ella Marks said. “This year it was cookies and flowers, but we always have a really fun time trying to be secretive about what we’re planning because she always knows everything!”

Photos courtesy of Ella Marks.

Juniors Ishani and Ishi Sood and their parents smile for a photo while enjoying a Mother’s Day brunch. “Every year on Mother’s Day we make our mom breakfast and head to the city for lunch, but this year we had to find a way to make the day special within the confines of our home. Our solution: takeout from our mom’s favorite restaurant, Evvia, and homemade mini layered berries and cream cakes,” Ishani Sood said.

Photo courtesy of Ishani Sood.

Junior Sonia Agarwal displays her family’s Mother’s Day dinner. “Normally for Mother’s Day we would go out to dinner in San Francisco, but this year that was not possible, so instead we got takeout from our favorite local Thai restaurant,” Agarwal said. “My mom and I share a love for horses, so this year we went to the barn to spend time with my horse.”

Photo courtesy of Sonia Agarwal.

Senior Angel More and her mother Archana More smile for a photo while on a Mother’s Day hike. On the right, More displays the bread she baked for her mother. “Every Mother’s Day we like to go on a hike, out to dinner and to the movies. We went on a hike, baked bread and cake, but for obvious reasons we couldn’t go to the movie theater, so we made one at home, ” More said.

Photos Courtesy of Angel More.