Menlo Announces Modified Hybrid Plan, To Begin Oct. 26

Alex Levitt

Menlo plans to reopen with a limited hybrid model starting Oct. 16. The school has equipped classrooms with new technology to enhance virtual classes, as well as reconfigured classrooms to accommodate more social distancing. Staff photo: Alex Levitt.

Alex Levitt, Assistant News Editor

Head of School Than Healy wrote in an email to the Menlo community on Friday that the school plans to return to a limited form of hybrid learning on Oct. 26, with the full hybrid learning model set to begin on January 19.

Per county guidelines, Menlo is starting by splitting the student body into four cohorts: Blue A, Blue B, Gold A and Gold B. Each cohort will attend school in person for one week between Oct. 26 and Nov. 20, the last day of school before Thanksgiving break.

Students will not be able to return to campus for an entire two months after this period. Menlo has decided that the school will be entirely online between Thanksgiving break and holiday break, as well as the two weeks after holiday break, to “allow families to quarantine from holiday travel,” Healy wrote in the email.

California currently has no laws requiring people to quarantine after travel.

Additionally, Menlo is continuing its partnership with One Medical to provide COVID-19 PCR tests to its student body. “Once hybrid learning begins on January 19, students should be tested weekly,” Healy wrote. “Menlo will be launching on-campus testing with One Medical later this fall, and we will let you know when it’s available.”

These developments in Menlo’s plan to reopen campus come five days after an email was sent to parents on Oct. 4 asking them to fill out a survey on reopening campus. In this survey, parents were asked if they plan on sending their student back to campus when a hybrid learning model is implemented. It also asked parents if they had any safety concerns with in-person school or anything else they would like the administration to know.

“We have been proceeding from the assumption that the overwhelming majority of our families would send their students back to campus,” Healy wrote in the Oct. 4 email. The school has not published the results of the survey as of Oct. 10.