New Teacher Profile: Justin Carunchia

Spanish teacher Justin Carunchia started working at Menlo this year after studying in Mexico and teaching Spanish at an independent school in Michigan. Photo courtesy of Justin Carunchia.

Lexi Friesel, Assistant Sports Editor

Note: In the first print edition of each year, The Coat of Arms includes short features of new Menlo faculty members throughout the issue. This year, instead, these stories will be published online.

———

The Menlo Spanish department gained a new member this year, Justin Carunchia. Carunchia is currently teaching Spanish Foundations 2 as well as Intermediate Spanish classes, in addition to being a freshman advocate. “I’m excited to be here and am so thankful for all of the outreach from parents, faculty members and my students,” Carunchia said.

Prior to teaching at Menlo, Carunchia taught the equivalent of Menlo Spanish levels 1-5 at an independent school in the suburbs of Michigan. Coming to Menlo required an extensive move. “Although it was tough to move across the country during the pandemic, the administration and faculty at Menlo have been very supportive and helpful,” Carunchia said. “The students have also been very welcoming and responsive during Zoom classes.”

Carunchia grew up in Sturgis, MI. His favorite subjects in school were English, orchestra and drama. “I didn’t like the way they taught Spanish when I was a student,” Carunchia said. “We memorized lists and filled in conjugation charts. We never spoke [Spanish], and our teachers never spoke it.” Carunchia mentioned that he strives to create a very interactive learning environment for the students in his classes with lots of opportunities to speak the language. 

Carunchia majored in Spanish and minored in child psychology. He also received a masters degree in Central and South American literature and cultural studies. For half of his masters degree, Carunchia studied at a university in Mexico. 

After obtaining his Master’s degree, he lived in Honduras for two years before teaching for 13 years at the upper school level. “My favorite part about teaching is connecting and relating with students,” Carunchia said. “I am fortunate to teach Spanish because I essentially get to talk with kids and get to know them. It’s all part of the class.”

In his free time, Carunchia enjoys reading, hiking, camping and spending time with his nieces and nephews. He looks forward to the rest of the school year and meeting his students in person.