Menlo Varsity Boys Basketball Overpowered by Sacred Heart Prep

Lexi Friesel

Senior Daniel Solomon dribbles past a defender. Solomon finished the game with 11 points. Staff Photo: Lexi Friesel.

Chase Hurwitz, Sports Editor

The ongoing Menlo vs Sacred Heart Prep rivalry continued this week with the varsity boys basketball game on Tuesday, Feb. 2. Being the first Menlo vs SHP varsity basketball game to allow student spectators in almost two years, fans from both teams packed the SHP gym. On one side, the Gators dressed in business casual attire, while the Knights student section chose an unconventional theme, donned in all-black clothing paired with bike and athletic helmets on top. 

The Menlo student section lets out a collective sigh after Menlo commits a foul. The Knights student section chose an unconventional theme, donned in all black clothing paired with bike and athletic helmets on top. Staff Photo: Lexi Friesel. (Lexi Friesel)

Before the game, Menlo players felt confident in their team. “We’re going to trust each other and play smart basketball. When you’re confident, basketball becomes a pretty simple game,” senior Will Murphy said.

Despite the fans’ support and the team’s morale, Menlo was overpowered by SHP’s offense, losing the game 76-53.

In the first quarter, the Gators came out hot, led by senior Kevin Carney. The point guard hit 6/7 from three to start the game, giving the Gators a comfortable 13 point lead over the Knights at the end of the first quarter. Carney finished the game with 23 points.

Junior Lucas Vogel shoots a mid-range jumper. Vogel finished the game with 15 points. Staff Photo: Lexi Friesel. (Lexi Friesel)

The second quarter began with a score of 25-12. While Menlo was able to slightly slow down the Gator’s offense, their attempts were still not enough to keep the game close. “We just couldn’t contain their shooters in the first half,” senior Jaymin Parasnis said. The Knights entered the half down 46-26.

Junior Robby Enright crashes down after attempting to grab a rebound. Enright had a strong defensive game with eight rebounds and three steals. Staff Photo: Lexi Friesel. (Lexi Friesel)

SHP started the second half by draining a three from the corner. However, junior Will Eggemier answered immediately with a three of his own. Thus, the third quarter seemed like it would be more competitive than the first two; however, strong offensive performances from SHP seniors Aidan Braccia and Emmer Nichols grew their lead over Menlo to end the quarter 61-38. 

The fourth quarter saw much of the same. Sloppy offensive play by Menlo allowed the Gators to seal their victory. Despite strong offensive performances from senior Daniel Solomon — who scored 11 — and junior Lucas Vogel — who scored 15 — the Knights turnovers prevented them from mounting any real comeback. Menlo had a combined 11 turnovers while SHP was much stronger with the ball. “We just got outplayed and outhustled,” senior Alex Reznik said. 

With the win, the Gators remain in first place of the West Bay League with an undefeated 9-0 league record. After the loss, the Knights now place 4th in the West Bay League with a 5-3 league record. They boast an overall record of 11-6. 

The Knights have an opportunity for redemption, however, as they play SHP again on Feb. 6, this time at home. “We’ll have a few good practices this week and we’ll be ready. We’ll be ready for Sunday,” senior Ryan Schaefer said.

Junior Cort Halsey boxes out a defender for a rebound. The Knights were largely unable to stop SHP’s strong offensive performance. Staff Photo: Lexi Friesel. (Lexi Friesel)