Select Student Profile: Jonah Block

Jonah Block onstage. Photo courtesy of Block

Q: What’s it like to be a freshman at Menlo? 

A: Coming from a middle school where the expectations weren’t as high, Menlo’s a little overwhelming, but being given the freedom to try a variety of new things is freeing. 

Q: To balance out the academic intensity at Menlo, what outlets do you have for expressing yourself creatively? 

A: Well, I realized early on that I really wanted to do cartooning, so I made a website, jbcomics.com, where I post hand-drawn comics. 

Q: What is it about comics that you enjoy so much? 

A: Making people laugh is just one of my favorite things to do. The fact that I can sketch something down right from my imagination onto a page, and someone actually has a reaction to that – that just has immense value to me. 

Q: How do you come up with material for your comics? 

A: My comics come from small things I’ve seen throughout my day. I have a notes page called “comic ideas” so if I get something good from a funny situation I’ll make a little note that I can look back on later.

Q: Does knowing the public can see your work add pressure? 

A: I don’t think it adds pressure; I think it mostly inspires me to make good comics. The fact that people can see my website just makes me want to do comics in a way that everyone can appreciate them and laugh at them. 

Q: What do you like about running Menlo Cross Country? 

A: For me, I love cross country because of the community. It really is a team sport because we try to lift each other up and get through the finish line as a team. 

Q: Favorite running song? 

A: That changes a lot, but I’m a big fan of AJR in general and the song “Back in Black” by ACDC.

Q: If you could play any part in a musical, what would it be? 

A: Gaston in “Beauty and the Beast.”

Q: What are three things you want to do before freshman year is over? 

A: One, run a personal record mile, so hopefully sub four minutes and 50 seconds. Two, go to Disneyland and three, I want to go see my friend Jacob Wang in “Something Rotten”.

Q: If animals could talk, which animal would be the rudest? 

A: Probably owls ‘cause they’re always asking, “Who asked?”

Q: If you could invent an Olympic sport, what would it be? 

A: I think this may already be a sport, but competitive pun-ing, where you’re given a randomized scenario and the funniest answer wins the round. 

Q: Who would win in a fight between Superman and Batman? 

A: If there was no time to prepare, definitely Superman because he’s pretty overpowered. But if Batman had time to strategize, he would probably have a good plan involving Kryptonite and win. 

Q: What’s something you think is underrated? 

A: “Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.” People hate on it but I think it’s a fair movie.