Menlo Volleyball Sweeps Sacred Heart, Secures First Place in WBAL

Menlo’s varsity volleyball team prevailed over rival Sacred Heart in three straight sets on Tuesday, Oct. 17. The effort was spearheaded by the team’s captains: senior outside hitter Cleo Hardin who led the team in kills, junior setter Lily Kautai who set all 34 assists for the Knights and sophomore libero Ava Wang who picked up 16 digs. With the win, the Knights propelled themselves to first place in West Bay Athletic League, improving to a record of 22-11 for the season. “We pushed and fought hard for this moment, and I’m really proud of our performance,” Hardin said. “Being a senior, it feels great to get a win in our final rivalry matchup.” Earlier in the season, Menlo fell to Sacred Heart on Sept. 27. Wang believes that the reduced amount of unforced errors, improved passing and energy on the court were the difference makers for the team in their second shot at the Gators. “I think this win was a complete reflection of all of the hard work we have put in,” she said. For their final two league matches, the Knights will be on the road at Notre Dame San Jose on Oct. 19 before returning to action at home on senior night against Notre Dame Belmont on Tuesday, Oct. 24.