Valentine’s Day Is a Day for Celebrating Love in All Its Forms, Single or Taken

Illustration courtesy of Natalie Jinbo-Davis

Every February, Cupid shoots his precious arrows toward the hearts of people everywhere. For some, his aim is perfect, but for others, he misses the mark. Lovers spend the month walking on clouds, whereas loners are left to wallow in their singleness.

It’s undeniable that, on one hand, Valentine’s Day is a rich celebration of love and devotion. It gives couples a chance to express their appreciation and adoration for one another. Valentine’s Day can also be a significant source of frustration, stress and difficulty for those without romantic partners. However, all people — single or taken –– can still find joy in celebrating Valentine’s Day with or without romantic love in their lives.

Let’s start with the good. For infatuated couples, embracing Valentine’s Day with romantic dinners and heart-to-heart talks or teddy bears and heart balloons can feel like living the dream. Lovers have the opportunity to make memories infused with love and deepen close bonds on this special day. Many people use the holiday as a chance to be extra affectionate with their partners and loved ones. I, for one, find it easier to express my sentimental feelings to my loved ones on Valentine’s Day, as I know others around me are doing it too. Further, the overall Valentine’s vibes are warm, never failing to fill me with joy no matter how sad I wake up feeling.

On the flip side, for those flying solo, Valentine’s Day can make your life feel like a melody lacking an accompaniment, even if you didn’t want a duet before. Society’s heavy emphasis on romantic love can overshadow the importance of platonic relationships, self-love and empowerment. The pressure to conform to romantic love in order to enjoy Valentine’s Day can make this day of celebration feel like a day of discomfort. The reality is that love takes on so many different forms, all of which are unique and special. 

So let’s cue the sweet candy hearts and dark chocolate truffles as we appreciate every kind of love, or lack thereof, this Feb. 14. Let me reiterate that Valentine’s Day is truly for all people — anyone can participate in conveying love for partners, friends and family. There are so many easy ways to show appreciation for your loved ones: write a sweet card or buy them their favorite sweet treat. Even if you haven’t yet found your soulmate, I’m sure you can’t resist the sugary allure of Valentine’s candy. I know I sure can’t!