3 Reasons Why an Electric Car Is the Best Choice for You — Now!

Matti Blume, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

In today’s world, gas cars are getting somewhat old. We’ve all been warned about the harm they inflict upon our environment, taking us one step closer to a dangerous future. Most of us are aware that we should make the gradual shift towards electric cars and will hopefully do so  when it’s more affordable for everyone. Anyone buying a new car should strongly consider an electric vehicle; the decision to make the switch to electric cars now will not only benefit the environment but will also be more cost-efficient in the long run.

It’s common knowledge that electric cars are much more environmentally friendly than gas and diesel options, but few really understand how or why this is true. Brace yourself for a startling revelation: the release of fossil fuels produces 87% of human carbon dioxide emissions. According to Climate.gov, this malevolent gas traps heat from the Earth’s surface and amplifies the global temperature, consequently setting us on a  slow but steady path towards rendering our home inhabitable. 

However, the shift towards electric cars promises to aid this issue. For example, the City of Moreno Valley states that drivers of these clean machines have already achieved a staggering reduction of 177,758,804 kg in CO2 emissions in their community. That’s equivalent to removing approximately 74,532 cars from our roads each year. 

You’re also probably aware that going electric can save drivers money on fuel, but most of us probably don’t realize how quickly these savings add up. According to a jaw-dropping report from AAA, gas prices have reached a sky high of over $5.061 per gallon in San Mateo County. Specifically, just a couple months ago the Chevron Station located on Alameda de Las Pulgas charges $7.29 for a gallon of gasoline, making it pricier compared to stations in other states. The increased costs primarily stem from taxes, environmental fees, and the higher expenses associated with refining gasoline to meet strict state regulations. For Menlo students, owning electric cars reduces reliance on gas from the Chevron station, which incurs significant expenses. Fluctuating gas prices, driven by high demand and shrinking supplies, make each visit to the pump a financial burden. However, there’s a solution to ease your finances! By paying just $0.10 per kilowatt (1 kilowatt can cover 3 to 4 miles), you can enjoy driving an electric vehicle at an equivalent cost of less than $1 per gallon for a gas-powered car. This switch could potentially save you an extra $700 a month.

Many families hesitate to consider electric cars due to higher initial pricing compared to gas-powered options. However, the prices of electric vehicles are increasingly comparable to conventional cars. For instance, the average new car costs $47,077, while an electric vehicle averages around $56,000. Although some may consider this to be expensive, I believe that the benefits are definitely worth it for the $9000 dollar difference. 

It’s crucial to note that while electric cars contribute positively to the environment, they aren’t a complete solution to the climate crisis. Concerns about increasing demands on electricity supply leading to blackouts, particularly in the Bay area, are valid. There’s a reasonable concern that operating an electric vehicle might worsen the carbon footprint because of how it’s powered by lithium batteries, which could be toxic to the environment and ruin ecosystems when discarded. While this is a valid concern, many recycling initiatives, such as extracting important materials from old lithium batteries to create new ones, are set in place to minimize the risk. Additionally, if electric cars are more expensive, I also see hybrid vehicles as a solution to this issue. Hybrid vehicles use at least one electric motor and another gasoline engine. Because hybrid vehicles don’t solely rely on one gasoline engine to run, they have better fuel efficiency, which leads to the conservation of more energy, leading to reduced carbon emissions. Of course, though hybrid cars are a possibility, electric cars are the best option because they don’t release any pollutants. In addition, hybrid cars are a bit slower due to their dependence on both forms of energy. These types of cars may also be more expensive because of their use of advanced technology.

Overall, I believe that our entire Menlo community should lean towards purchasing electric cars. These vehicles provide significant environmental benefits and cost savings. Their price tags are surprisingly competitive with gas-powered cars. As a student whose parents drive and enjoy electric cars and who hopes to drive an electric car when I can start to drive, I can personally assure you that they’re both efficient and enjoyable. Let’s drive change together, one electric mile at a time!