Student of the Week: Audrey Flower

Flower's Geometry Honors class her freshman year. Flower is in the back row, five students from the left.
Flower’s Geometry Honors class her freshman year. Flower is in the back row, five students from the left.

Junior Audrey Flower is the Student of the Week because she has excelled in the fields of math and science ever since she was a freshman at Menlo. Flower has been a standout in her classes and is passionate about subjects related to math and science, especially computer science. Computer science is her favorite subject because it has a “cool combination of math and logic,” which helps her understand the subject better. Flower started her freshman year with the elective Intro to Computer Science. From there, Flower went to AP Computer Science, and this year she is in AT Computer Science. She also has been in the honors math classes available at Menlo since her freshman year and took Accelerated Chemistry her sophomore year. Math teacher and computer science teacher Michael Thibodeaux describes Flower as a “student of extraordinary insight and power [who is] ingenious.” Flower has also been apart of Menlo’s math and science program M Best for three years now.

Flower also excels outside of the classroom, however. She has been on varsity girls’ water polo since her freshman year and has managed to balance academics and athletics with ease. Flower takes full advantage of all the free time she has available to her including lunch, break and any other time she finds. She has “late practice two to three times a week” so it is important for her to get work done before practice by going to the library to focus on her academics. Junior Nikhil Bhatia said, “[Flower’s] dedication to knowledge mixed with her unparalleled work ethic have led her to extraordinary success in the classroom. Her diligence sets an exemplary model for her peers.” Flower is continuing to pursue her interest in computer science as a TA in the Into to Computer Science class as she considers computer science as a future college major.