Menlo sports recap week of February 23

While the winter sports are in full force in CCS, spring sports are already starting up at Menlo…

Jack Hammond | Sports Editor & Co-Online Editor

WINTER SPORTS 

Boys Basketball: The boys won a huge game 56-47 on Saturday afternoon against #7 seed Kings Academy. Menlo is the #2 seed in CCS and plays #3 seed Terra Nova tomorrow in Santa Cruz.

Girls Basketball: The girls won their first round CCS game 49-34 over #7 seed Castilleja at home last Saturday. Menlo is once again the #2 seed and plays #3 seed Soquel at home tomorrow night in the semifinals. 

Girls Soccer: Menlo pulled off an upset in the quarterfinals of the CCS soccer tournament defeating #3 seed Harbor 2-0. Menlo is the #6 seed and plays #7 seed Sacred Heart Cathedral, who upset #2 seed Scotts Valley, on Wednesday night. 

SPRING SPORTS (not all have started playing games yet)

Baseball: Boys baseball started the season off right with a big win on the road against Menlo-Atherton 13-5. However, the team lost 5-4 Saturday afternoon to Sacred Heart Prep.

Boys Tennis: The boys got off a to good start, beating Monte Vista at home 6-1.

Swimming: Both the boys and girls had a meet at Palo Alto High School last Friday. Menlo, Menlo-Atherton and Palo Alto were all in attendance, and both the boys and girls finished third as teams.