NBA Pulse: March 24

Who is the most dangerous opponent in Golden State’s path?

Davis Rich | Co-News Editor

With less than a month left in the regular season, the consensus is that the Warriors are the favorite to win the NBA title. The Warriors are practically unbeatable at home, yet also have the league’s best road winning percentage. The question becomes: who can beat the Warriors? Here are the only five teams capable of taking down the Dubs in the playoffs in my opinion.

5. Atlanta Hawks (53-17; record vs. Warriors: 1-1)

Atlanta has been championed as the Warriors’ greatest challenger from the East this year after winning 35 of 38 games, running away with the Eastern Conference as the Cavaliers languished in mediocrity through January. However, Atlanta has cooled off since beating the Warriors at home on February 6, going only 11-8 since that matchup. I don’t see the Hawks as the only team that can take on the Warriors in the playoffs. The Hawks may be balanced well, but they lack the consistent star power necessary in the playoffs, as Yaron Weitzman pointed out for SB Nation. The season series between the two teams is split, but the result at Oracle Arena seems more accurate to me. Yes, the Hawks had one of their worst shooting performances of the year, but the Warriors won by 20 without Klay Thompson, and with Stephen Curry shooting only 4-11.

4. Los Angeles Clippers (46-25; 1-2)

The Clippers are the thorn in the Warriors’ side, the team that isn’t necessarily more talented or coached better than Golden State but nonetheless poses a major threat to the Warriors’ championship aspirations. Since February, the Clippers have navigated a brutal schedule (only six games against non-playoff teams) quite well, with no bad losses and wins over San Antonio, Memphis, and Houston. The Clips managed to tread water without Blake Griffin, thanks to Herculean performances from Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan. Los Angeles has the personnel, the offensive potency, and the edge to run with the Warriors in the playoffs. They’ve done it before, it’s up to them to do it again.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers (46-26; 1-1)

If there is one team in the East that can take down the Warriors in a best-of-seven series, it’s Cleveland. Critics will say that Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love and coach David Blatt don’t have playoff experience, but the majority of the veterans on the team do, and that is what really matters. JR Smith, Mike Miller, Shawn Marion, Iman Shumpert, and Timofey Mozgov all have big game experience. And that’s not to mention Lebron James, who has played in 158 career playoff games and four Finals appearances. The King is a whole different animal in the playoffs, a one-man wrecking ball who can inflict enough damage on the Warriors to take them to the limits.

2. San Antonio Spurs (44-25; 1-1)

San Antonio scares me. Gregg Popovich and Co. should scare everyone. Just when we rule them out, saying the Spurs are finally over the hill, they turn up the intensity and coming roaring back. After a slow first half, Tony Parker has a +13.8 plus/minus rating since the All-Star break. Danny Green is shooting a blistering 44.9% from three point range since the break, adding onto a career year for the UNC product. And Kawhi Leonard is straight up exposing people on both ends of the floor, making his case to be recognized as a top ten NBA player. Don’t fall into the Spurs’ trap. This is an exceptional team come playoff time.

1. Memphis Grizzlies (50-21; 1-0)

Memphis is very quietly one of the best teams in the league. They don’t have a superstar, play in a small market, and have a ugly style of basketball (second-best defense in the league) that doesn’t resonate with many NBA fans. I know I would rather watch Minnesota or Detroit than Memphis. The Grizzlies have struggled to score the past two months, which has led to some ugly losses (Detroit, Minnesota, Denver, and Boston). Mike Conley will disappear on some nights and Zach Randolph has regressed (read: gotten old) a bit. But make no mistake: if there is any team that can grind with the Warriors through seven games, it is Memphis. The Grizzlies are happy to play ugly, slow, physical games, which could take a toll on Andrew Bogut and the undersized Draymond Green. When a team emblazons its rally towels with “Grind” and “Grit”, you’re probably going to be in for a long series.