Student Council Update

Wondering what Student Council is up to? Here are a few quick updates. 

Lucy Heneghan | Online Editor 

Here’s What We Discussed This Week:

• We worked out the appointed officer application schedule – Applications will be available towards the end of this week and will be due on May 26th.

• We discussed the restructuring of open session to allow time for small groups to have the opportunity to talk about current events as well as continue the question-answer set up. We chose to talk about this in response to the recent assembly that focused on recent events in Baltimore.

• Updated council on the upcoming concert on May 22 and talked about ways of publicizing the event.

• We officially added a position of a Sustainability Commissioner to the list of appointed officers

Here’s What We’ve Worked on in the Past Few Weeks:

• Looking back on the year, we made a document that everyone added to that detailed how events from this year went. With this, next year we can refer to this document to get advice from past council members on how to make specific events run as smoothly as they can. This will help us to be always improving, and make sure that we don’t run into the same mistakes and difficulties year after year.

• Prom is coming up on May 16th, so we discussed means of publicity and checked in on ticket sales.

• Collected volunteers to represent student council at the Welcoming Event for the freshmen class

• Discussed the addition of a new appointed officer position, the sustainability director. We decided to add this because making the school a more sustainable environment should be a priority. This position will specifically work with Kevin Connor and plan events such as challenges with SHP for “get-to-school-in-a-sustainable-way” day

• For the upcoming school year, the Sports Commissioner appointed officer will be part of the Student Athletic Advisory Board. This is a group that includes representatives from each team to discuss any issues that may come up.

• In the Student Body Officer Elections, the freshmen class only had 49% voting participation. Compared to the junior class (60%) and the sophomore class (72%), this is a very low percentage. We discussed the potential reasons for this and steps to change it in the future – such as making sure the voting table is outside at all times as well as potentially voting during advocacy.

• Because of the limited amount of time for Day on the Green celebration this year, we discussed what events we want to have offered during this time- such as a blow up slide, a supply of sharpie pens, and lots of snacks.