Menlo Presents at Maker Faire

This year’s Maker Faire included many unique projects, including…

Lauren Yang | News Editor

The Maker Faire is an event that features over 900 art, engineering, invention, science, and craft exhibitions. The event is open to kids and adults alike. The 10th annual Maker Faire occurred May 15-17 at the San Mateo County Event Center.

This year, Menlo’s science, engineering, and robotics students had the opportunity to present at Maker Faire on Friday and Saturday. Menlo projects included a self-playing piano, a superconductor train, and many others.

Above is the superconductor train that floats above its track. “[Inside the blue cup is] a superconductor that when [cooled] to low temperatures, it will exhibit certain magnetic field properties that will allow it to float above the magnets on the track,” senior Nick Seidl said.
Numerous tech companies, such as Google, Facebook, and Intel, set up booths at Maker Faire. Google’s booth included numerous interesting projects including cardboard virtual reality glasses called Google Cardboard which enables users to watch or play games in 3D. Above is Freshman Tommy Yang playing a game with the Google Cardboard. Numerous tech companies, such as Google, Facebook, and Intel, set up booths at Maker Faire. Google’s booth included numerous interesting projects including cardboard virtual reality glasses called Google Cardboard which enables users to watch or play games in 3D. Above is freshman Tommy Yang playing a game with the Google Cardboard.
Another project on display at the Google exhibit was a chai tea maker. Another project on display at the Google exhibit was a chai tea maker.
Microsoft’s booth featured a full body 3D scanning activity where participants could scan themselves and 3D print their figures later. Above is sophomore Niky Arora scanning her body.

The Maker Faire also included a startup pavilion where budding entrepreneurs shared their products and ideas with everybody.

This is the sign that visitors are welcomed to as they enter the startup pavilion. This is the sign that visitors are welcomed to as they enter the startup pavilion.
Serenti was a company that featured their product at the faire. Pictured above is the company’s product, a robotic device that cooks meals for you. Serenti was a company that featured their product at the faire. Pictured above is the company’s product, a robotic device that cooks meals for you.
Another company called Mesh created a modular sensor system that allows for rapid prototyping and DIY home improvement projects. These sensors are convenient because they are programmable by canvas visual programming on the iPad. Arora shakes a vibration sensor that triggers another motion actuator that is mounted on the pen object.

Another company called Mesh created a modular sensor system that allows for rapid prototyping and DIY home improvement projects. These sensors are convenient because they are programmable by canvas visual programming on the iPad.
Arora shakes a vibration sensor that triggers another motion actuator that is mounted on the pen object.

Dash, a company that creates buildable mini-robotics, was also found inside the startup pavilion. Above is a Dash robotics kits that allow kids to build their own droids in a few simple steps.
Dash, a company that creates buildable mini-robotics, was also found inside the startup pavilion.
Above is a Dash robotics kits that allow kids to build their own droids in a few simple steps.
Numerous exhibitions were scattered around Maker Faire, including the one pictured above, which featured different types of microcontrollers. Numerous exhibitions were scattered around Maker Faire, including the one pictured above, which featured different types of microcontrollers.
Another popular event was the aerial drone fights. During these drone matches, players remotely controlled their aircraft with the goal of knocking down their opponent. The match ended when a drone was no longer in flight.
These two drones engage in combat as they attempt to knock each other from the air. These two drones engage in combat as they attempt to knock each other from the air.
An exhibit that attracted a lot of kids was the LEGO booth. On display was a miniature city complete with multi-storied buildings and a moving train. There was also a large pile of pieces where kids could build their own creations. An exhibit that attracted a lot of kids was the LEGO booth. On display was a miniature city complete with multi-storied buildings and a moving train. There was also a large pile of pieces where kids could build their own creations.

While walking around in Maker Faire, visitors encountered many interesting mobile creations.

This motorized train was often found transporting people to and fro. Visitors, especially kids, enjoyed taking rides on this creation. This motorized train was often found transporting people to and fro. Visitors, especially kids, enjoyed taking rides on this creation.
This very humanistic robot was completely 3D printed and can be remotely controlled. This very humanistic robot was completely 3D printed and can be remotely controlled.
This large, circular robot also frequented the streets of the Maker Faire as it rolled along its way.

R2D2 made an appearance as it glided in circles in an indoor exhibit.
Participants also got to pose with this jumping robot.
The Maker Faire also included a dark room which displayed a myriad of glow-in-the-dark projects, including an inflatable luminous forest. The Maker Faire also included a dark room which displayed a myriad of glow-in-the-dark projects, including an inflatable luminous forest.
Many booths also included visitor participation. A particularly popular activity was the unnecessarily high five, where people challenged themselves to see if they could claim the highest high five. Many booths also included visitor participation. A particularly popular activity was the unnecessarily high five, where people challenged themselves to see if they could claim the highest high five.

Yang attempts to give the third highest hand a high five. Yang attempts to give the third highest hand a high five.
Parked by the side of the road was a lego car. Kids entertained themselves by sticking LEGO pieces along the side panels of this Jeep. Parked by the side of the road was a lego car. Kids entertained themselves by sticking LEGO pieces along the side panels of this Jeep.

The Maker Faire is not just about cool robots and engineering projects, though. Many makers like to feature their culinary inventions and projects as well.

Artisan honey with unique flavors were on sale. This booth also offered free bee tours. Artisan honey with unique flavors were on sale. This booth also offered free bee tours.
Lavender pink lemonade and other unique drinks made by Happy Girl Kitchen Co. were available for passersbys to sample. Lavender pink lemonade and other unique drinks made by Happy Girl Kitchen Co. were available for passersbys to sample.
There were also plenty of artistic displays at the faire. Above is a colorful exhibition made from tinted tape. There were also plenty of artistic displays at the faire. Above is a colorful exhibition made from tinted tape.

As the Maker Faire drew to a close, visitors bade farewell to the many robots, inventions, and creators that they’ve met. The Maker Faire is planned to continue again next year in the Bay Area, so if these types of projects intrigue you, be sure to come out and explore the expansive world of innovation and creation.