Menlo alumnus and faculty member Michael Harris dies in boating accident

Harris passed away following a collision involving two boats Sunday morning. Photo courtesy menloschool.org.

Michael Shames | Print Editor

In the early hours of Sunday, September 6, Michael Harris was killed in a boating accident near Catalina Island. Harris, 26, who was a Menlo alumnus and a recent addition to the school counseling department, graduated from Menlo in 2008.

According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the dinghy that Harris and four others, including his girlfriend, were riding in collided with a larger boat around 1:20 a.m. near Descanso Bay. The accident also left three people injured, as well as one missing.

On Monday, Head of School Than Healy sent out an email to Menlo faculty and staff regarding the news, as well as how the school is planning to deal with the tragedy.

Family, colleagues, and students alike expressed their condolences for the loss of Harris through social media, detailing his caring and warm personality, as well as recalling memorable moments with the Menlo community member.

In 2012, Harris received a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from the University of San Diego. After graduating, he decided to give back to Menlo by becoming an assistant coach on the Menlo varsity basketball team. Most recently, he started a position as a member of the Upper School Counseling staff, under Tracy Bianchi.

Harris, a self-proclaimed sports nut, was eager to reconnect with the school and develop relationships with high school students. From his past 15 years with Menlo, Harris will be remembered greatly by many members of the Menlo community.

The Harris family has not communicated plans for a memorial service yet, but the Coat of Arms plans to broadcast that information when it is made public.