Menlo Sports Recap Week of 9/7

Menlo Sports Recap Week of 9/7

Football:
    After a tough season last year, the Knights bounced back by defeating Carmel High School 28-21 on September 5. The Knights got off to a fast start, scoring two touchdowns in the first quarter, but two extra points were blocked. Senior Charlie Roth tackled the punter in the end zone after a bad long snap in the second quarter to close the half with a safety and bring the lead to 14-7. With a comfortable 28-7 lead in the fourth quarter, the Knights gave up two special teams touchdowns to Carmel. Due to stout defense and a stellar running game, the Knights were able to hold on and win their season opener.

Volleyball:
    On September 5, the Knights played in the 32-team Spikefest volleyball tournament at Milpitas and Independence High Schools. The Knights began pool-play with a two-set win over Castilleja and then suffered two tough losses to Notre Dame-Belmont and Carlemont. After group play, the Knights were placed in the Blue Division where they defeated Burlingame and Harker. The Knights won their division with the two wins and finished 13 out of 32 teams in the tournament.

Girls Tennis:
    The Knights opened their season on September 8 against Saint Francis. After winning last season’s CCS Championship against the Troubadours, the Knights got their season started off with a 5-2 win. Juniors Alice Yao and Georgia Anderson posted impressive wins at one and three singles respectively to help lead the Knights to their first victory of the season. On September 11, the Knights began play in the Golden Gate State Classic tennis tournament. The Knights defeated Valencia High School in their first match 7-0 and advanced in the tournament to play Mira Costa. In a tough set of matches, the Knights prevailed 4-3 and will play Hawaii state champion Punahou on September 12.