Spirit Week Series: Grade Colors Tuesday

Photo by Carolyn Rantz

One addition to this year’s Spirit Week was the “Grade Colors” spirit day. Each grade was assigned a color: seniors were gold, the juniors blue, the sophomores purple, and the freshmen green. In addition to dressing up in their grade’s colors, students participated in a game of Twister during break and a grade-wide dodgeball competition. By creating this new spirit day and by implementing the new grade color element to student life, student council hopes that each grade will become more unified and spirited.

Eliza Crowder | Copy Editor

unnamed-1

Staff photo by Kaitlyn Tom

Many students arrived to school slightly earlier today to begin decorating their quads in their assigned grade color. Students mainly used streamers, tarps, and spray paint to cover as much of their quad in their color as possible. Because these decorations left large amounts of trash all over the quads, students were given an incentive later in the day to clean up. Spirit Commissioner Maya Donato announced that the grade with cleanest quad by 3:00 would earn one spirit point for their grade. After a lot of time spent pulling blue streamers out of trees, the junior class was recognized as having the cleanest quad and won the spirit point as a result.

Staff photo by Eliza Crowder

For today’s spirit activity during break, students enjoyed a competitive game of Twister. Instead of using the typical Twister mats, student council decided that “Inflatable Twister” would mix things up and keep students even more engaged and entertained. A boy and a girl from each grade participated, but the seniors came out on top with the victory.

Staff photo by Eliza Crowder

The game lasted for about 15 minutes, and as more and more time passed, the student spectators’s attention spans began diminishing. Aware that the game needed to end soon, senior Matt Joss made an executive decision to sacrifice himself for the team and tackle freshman Luca St Goar so his teammate, senior Lauren Henske, could earn the spirit point for the senior class. 

unnamed-2

Staff photo by Kaitlyn Tom

One of the most exciting parts of the day was the highly competitive dodgeball tournament that took place in the gym during lunch. The first game between the seniors and the freshmen was not even close because of the age gap between the two grades. However, the next game between the juniors and the sophomores remained very close for the duration of the game. After some last-minute changes in the rules due to time constraints, the sophomores claimed victory over the juniors.

Photo by Gillian Bressie

Staff photo by Gillian Bressie

In the final match between the seniors and sophomores, the sophomores put up a good fight for a while but eventually were defeated. Pictured here is the sophomore Nick Frangione in purple winding up to throw the dodgeball during the championship game.