Menlo Sports Recap: Week of 10/19

Menlo Sports Recap: Week of 10/19

William Bleicher | Sports Editor

Volleyball:
    With two more wins this week, the Knights improved their league record to 6-1 and overall record to 17-6. On Oct. 20, the Knights took on Mercy Burlingame. The Knights were in command throughout the match and finished with a 3-0 win. In the victory, seniors Maddie Stewart and Peyton Mack posted 15 and 10 kills respectively. In their second match of the week, the Knights played Harker in a game that had strong implications for the outcome of the league. Harker came into the match with a 6-0 record in league play, while the Knights were just behind them at 5-1. Harker came out strong, winning the first set, but the Knights took the next three sets to seal the victory. The win pushes the Knights to first place in league with the head to head tiebreaker going to Menlo.

Boys Waterpolo:
    In the lone league match this week, the Knights beat Mills 20-4 to improve to 5-0 in league play. However, the main event for the Knights this week was the North-South Challenge Tournament on Oct. 23 and 24. The Knights began tournament play with a tough 8-21 loss against Huntington Beach. Despite the loss, the Knights still had impressive performances from senior James Thygesen and sophomore Jayden Kunwar who posted three goals a piece. In the second match of the day, the Knights bounced back well and won 10-7 against Acalanes. Just last month, Acalanes beat the Knights in the CCS/NCS Tournament. Again, Thygesen scored a hat trick, and freshman Sam Untrecht added three goals as well. The Knights will have one more game on Oct. 24 against Campolindo, who they lost to last week 9-11 in overtime, to finish the tournament.

Girls Tennis:
    The girls tennis team’s incredible run continues with two more convincing wins this week. The Knights beat Castilleja 6-1 on Oct. 20 to add to their undefeated league record. Menlo’s two and three singles (Ashley Vielma and Taylor Gould) both won 6-1, 6-1, and the Knights swept all of their doubles matches. In the second match of the week, Menlo defeated Pinewood 7-0 and had standout performances from every singles player and doubles team. With the win over Pinewood, the Knights have increased their winning streak to 14. Their only loss this season has come to Punahou, the Hawaiian state champions. With a 17-1 overall record, and an 8-0 record in league, it looks like the Knights will win league again and compete for the CCS and Norcal championships in weeks to come.