Top 5 STEM This Week: CES Edition

This week, numerous innovative inventions like a bendable TV, robotic clothes folder, and an immersive alarm clock, were unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show. Creative commons image from CES.

By Lauren Yang

Every year in January, an electronics and technology trade show called the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is held in Nevada. Technology enthusiasts look forward to CES as many groundbreaking and trendsetting products are unveiled at this event. Here is a list of the top 5 most interesting gadgets from CES.

This is an early prototype of the rollable TV. The flexibility of the product allows the user to roll the TV like a newspaper. Creative commons image from meharris.

1. Rollable, bendable, ultra-high definition TVs
The CES featured numerous inventions that could potentially change how we watch multimedia. During the event, LG unveiled its 18-inch rollable TV. Yup, rollable. The TV features a .18mm thickness, allowing the user to twist and turn the screen. Another TV at CES was Samsung’s 170-inch modular TV. This TV allows you to piece together screens to form a massive display. Think LEGOs, but for the television. Television manufacturers have also been improving the quality of the screen. Sharp announced its 8K LCD display, which boasts of a resolution of 7,630 by 4,320 pixels. Even though the TV received a lot of attention at CES, Sharp doesn’t plan on releasing its 8K TV to the public until 2020.

The iNuke Boom is one of the largest boom boxes ever constructed and has capabilities of producing extremely loud noises. Photo from gadg.com.

2. Behringer iNuke Boom
The Behringer iNuke Boom was a gadget that drew a lot of attention from participants. The iNuke Boom is a boombox — one of the largest ever constructed. It boasts of 700 pounds of technology that can produce 10,000 watts of noise. Such an impressive product doesn’t come without a large $30,000 price tag, however.

The EHang 184 is the world’s first self-flying human sized drone. Video from ShowRoom.

3. Drones for Humans
The Chinese unmanned aerial aircraft company EHang constructed a drone for humans that can fly people around. The autonomous mechanism, called EHang 184, can lift one passenger for 23 minutes and can accelerate to a speed of 60 mph. The human drone was one of the exhibitions that attracted the most spectators.

The Laundroid is a robot that washes, dries, and folds clothes for you. Video from The Japan Times

4. Clothes-folding robot
This machine, called the Laundroid, folds clothes for the user. Created by Seven Dreamers, the Laundroid takes about 5 minutes to fold each article of clothing. Currently, users have to load their laundry load into the washer. In the future, however, the creators hope to expedite the folding process and double the storage capabilities of the Laundroid.

The Sensorwake hopes to utilize stimuli from the noise to wake up the user. Image from GearHungry.

5. Immersive Alarm Clocks
Do you have difficulty in waking up in the morning? The Sensorwake alarm clock hopes to alleviate the difficulty of waking up early by playing various scents chosen by the body. Users can choose from a variety of scents, including freshly brewed coffee, money, and mint. Read more here