The road less traveled — Menlo in the military

John Haynes (Menlo ’07), pictured here, went on to graduate from West Point and continues to serve in the U.S. Army. Senior RJ Babiera is hoping to become one of the few Menlo students in recent history to attend a U.S. military academy. All photos courtesy of Cpt. John Haynes.

By Emilio Simbeck and Baily Deeter

Many Menlo students over the years have prided themselves on being versatile, smart, and well-rounded, attending a plethora of top-notch universities across the country.
      According to the Menlo School website, from 2012-2014, there have been about 300 Menlo students accepted into the University of California school system, nearly 50 into the prestigious Ivy League schools, and many more into a variety of big and small institutions, pursuing paths from liberal arts to science and technology. While not as many Menlo students take this path, there is another one which few Menlo students have pursued: the military academies, including the United States Military Academy at West Point, United States Naval Academy and United States Air Force Academy.
       During the last five years –as far back as the data from the college counseling office goes– Menlo has had only one graduate go on to enroll in a military academy (2011 graduate Jack Finch enrolled at the Naval Academy following graduation). However, in previous years, Menlo has had more contributions to the academies.
This year, Menlo has one student applying to the three military institutions; senior R.J. Babiera. Despite seeing his peers apply to top-notch civilian colleges, Babiera has been influenced by his family and his desire to serve in his decision to apply to service academies.

“It’s going to be a step further toward my goals of helping out those who have helped me, giving back to the community,” Babiera said. “I’ve gotten so much out of [Menlo] that I need to find a way to give back.”
      Babiera’s father served in the military, and he mentioned his father as the person who initially exposed him to the academies. However, Babiera says that his father was not the main factor in convincing him to join; he wants to serve because he feels that if it’s the best path for my family, he would rather take it.
      While Babiera made the decision on his own, he has received support from members of the Menlo community. One name Babiera mentioned was that of his football coach, Mark Newton. “Mr. Newton showed us great leadership on and off the field,” Babiera said. “He helped shape my character a lot[…]he showed me that I could be a leader somewhere else.”
       If Babiera enrolls in one of the academies, he would become just the second Menlo graduate in the last six years to attend. While the data recorded by the college counseling office is not available prior to 2011, Captain John Haynes, ‘07, was another Menlo alumnus who entered a military academy following graduation.
Haynes graduated in 2007, while the United States was involved in major conflicts across Southwest Asia, and right after president George W. Bush decided to send an additional twenty thousand troops to Iraq.
      “How I could stay at home and do nothing about the war?” Haynes said. “As I look back on my life, I view my military service as an inevitability—I believe it was fate. My nation needed me, and I was both willing and able to serve,” Haynes said when asked about his motivation to serve.

image3
      John Haynes ’07, on one tour of duty in Iraq.

Haynes was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in 2011 from the United States MIlitary Academy at West Point as an Armor Officer with a Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Engineering and Engineering Management. “I would be responsible for planning operational tank units or reconnaissance units on the battlefield,” Haynes said. Haynes is currently stationed in Fort Benning (GA), where he is receiving more formal training as a Captain.
      Though Menlo has not produced many military graduates over the years, it has been extremely formative to those who have gone on into the military. Babiera described his improvements in helping others and helping the community. “Menlo’s stepped up my game of where I was, say, 2 years ago, to being the person who I am,” Babiera said.

image4
Haynes (right) pictured holding the Valpo Bowl in the fall of 2006. 

Haynes echoed that sentiment but took it one step further. “There has been one aspect of the school in particular in which has churned out these leaders defending our freedom; the football program, Haynes said.
      “I was no stranger to the importance of good leadership or facing difficult circumstances, and much of that experience was isolated to my time on the football field with my coach (and advocacy group leader), Mark Newton.” Haynes said.
      The football team prides itself on mantras such as “Relish the joy in facing adversity” and “Team First.” Both of these sayings speak to the attitude of the team, a true band of brothers, fighting for the common good. In Haynes’ words, “Each member of the team embodied that selfless attitude, and we experienced tremendous success.”
      Similar to Babiera, Haynes attributed sports and adult role models to some of the big reasons why he chose the path that he did. Fitting the mold of your typical intelligent, well-rounded Menlo student; Haynes played football and lacrosse for four years, studying Latin and immersing himself in many courses on Western warfare and political ideologies, particularly focusing on the components that make for a stable or unstable world.
      “With complete conviction, I can say that Coach Newton was the biggest influence on my decision not just to join the military, but also on my decision to become a leader and be in the business of winning,” Haynes said.
       This quote not only holds true for Haynes, but for many of the other Menlo alums who have gone into the various military branches in the past. According to Haynes, three other members of his class and football team also went on to serve. Brian Flaherty attended the Naval Academy and currently serves as a Marine Helicopter Pilot, Brad Lawler joined the Navy after college, and Andrew Dixon joined the Marines after graduating from Princeton.
       However, it has been nine years since Haynes’ class graduated, and recently, Menlo has not had as many contributors to the military. “These students haven’t seen anyone else apply to the academies,” Babiera said. “When we were freshmen, we hadn’t seen anyone go to the academies. Maybe it’s a surprise to [my classmates] that one of their own peers is trying to make a difference in real combat.”