Top 5 STEM This Week

Click to read about smart jackets, floating solar panels, Google’s new virtual assistant, and more. Creative commons image from USA.gov.  

By Lauren Yang 

Watch the video above for a quick intro on Project Jacquard. Video from Levi’s®.

1. Google + Levi’s = smart clothing
Project Jacquard is a collaboration between Google and Levi’s to create smart, technology-connected clothing. The project recently introduced its first prototype, called the Levi’s Trucker Commuter jacket. The jacket, which is controlled by physical gestures like swiping or tapping the sleeve, is able to make calls, give directions, play music, and more. Although it is currently in development, the jacket is expected to be available in spring 2017. Read more here

Solar panels that float on water are more efficient than the traditional ones, shown above. Creative commons image from Unsplash.

2. Floating solar panels
How can we make solar panels more efficient? The answer lies in the water. Scientists recently developed floating solar panels that are more efficient than land-based ones. In addition to being faster to build, floating solar panels keep algae blooms in check and help prevent evaporation in bodies of water. Around 50,000 panels are currently being installed in Japan’s Yamakura Dam Reservoir. The project will be completed in two years. Read more here.

Watch the video above to find out how and why the edible six-pack rings were created. Video from We Believers.

3. Edible six-pack rings
The Saltwater Brewery in Florida developed an edible six-pack ring, made out of brewing byproducts like grain, in an effort to prevent damage to marine life. The rings are edible and will decompose if not eaten; they are also strong enough to bear the shipping and handling of the delivery process. Read more here

According to a recent British study, bacteria (shown above) may be even more threatening than cancer. Creative commons image from NIAID.

4. The war on the invisible killer — bacteria and the drugs that kill them
Drug-resistant bacteria is projected to kill more people than cancer by 2050, a study supported by the British government revealed. The report points out that a plague may be imminent because bacteria is becoming more and more resistant to drugs. It also includes a 10-point plan, which includes steps like improved sanitation and better regulation of antibiotic use, to prevent the threat. Read more here.

Watch Google introduce it’s new home assistant device. Video from Phandroid.

5. Google creates its own virtual assistant
Major tech companies have all developed virtual assistants. Amazon has Alexis, Apple has Siri, Facebook has M, and Microsoft has Cortana. So, it’s no surprise that Google has done so as well with Google Assistant, Google’s virtual assistant. The assistant is to be launched in Google’s search app, a new messaging app called Allo, and a new smart home device called Google Home. Equipped with a variety of functions, like moving dinner reservations, texting, searching up queries, and checking flight arrival and departure times, Google hopes its assistant is competitive with the many out there already. Read more here