Knights Football starts the season strong

Pam Tso McKenney
    Menlo School football. Photo by Pam Tso McKenney.

A strong second half propelled Menlo to a 42-13 victory against Lincoln High School in its season opener. The above photo is from the 2015 football season. 

By Jack Gold

Photo from Pam Tso McKenney.

Despite a rough first half, the Menlo Knights football team rebounded to defeat the Lincoln Mustangs 42-13 in Saturday’s season opener.

A mix of big plays on offense and special teams translated into scores for the Knights, which lifted them to their first victory of the season. Early in the first quarter, running back Charlie Ferguson broke loose with a 73-yard run for the game’s first touchdown.

However, the Mustangs bounced back with a long and grueling drive dominated by short gain runs, which tied the game at seven going into halftime. However, Menlo was about to get going.

Within seconds of the beginning of the third quarter, the score was already 14-7 in favor of the Knights thanks to a kickoff return touchdown by Ferguson. Lincoln struggled against this Knights second half resurgence, as David Schmaier recovered a fumble and ran 32 yards for a defensive touchdown.

Later in the quarter, senior quarterback Hayden Pegley connected with receiver Evan King for a 10-yard touchdown score, giving the Knights a three-score lead heading into the final quarter of the contest.

The Mustangs tried to inch their way back into the game with a punt block for a touchdown, cutting the lead to two touchdowns, but it wouldn’t be enough. A 36-yard touchdown run by Pegley accompanied by yet another touchdown run by Ferguson led the Menlo Knights to finish the game with a statement victory.

Although the Mustangs put up a good fight throughout the game, they seemed to have no answer to Ferguson’s three touchdowns and 200-plus rushing yards. The Knights’ opening day victory should pave the course for a fantastic season with much more success ahead.