Menlo’s Anglers Club

Three junior boys along with english teacher Wilson Taylor have started a new club at Menlo – The Menlo Anglers club. These boys, each with a strong passion for fishing, are excited to share their love for the sport with other members of the Menlo community. Photos from the Menlo Anglers Instagram @menlo_anglers_club.

By Ty Corley

Deep within the wilderness in some Alaskan river basin is where you will find them. Sitting on the riverside with hooks in the water is where juniors Jackson Polverari, David Schmaier and Bruce Tickner would idealize themselves on a summer day.

All three have now decided to culminate their shared interest into the first Menlo Fly Fishing club. At the club fair, the anglers attracted interest from a diverse group of students. “We are really excited to share our love of fishing with experienced fishers and newcomers alike,” founder Bruce Tickner said.

as 
Wilson Taylor, the teacher advisor for the Menlo Anglers club, was approached by Tickner, Schmaier and Polverari. “We went to him because of his passion and knowledge for fishing and the outdoors as well as his genuine enthusiasm and interest in our club,” Polverari said. Wilson displayed his enthusiasm for being apart of the club at the club fair: “Even though I am not as experienced as [these boys], I love fishing and I am super excited to get out there.”

The meetings will include discussions on the best flies and rods as well as members talking about some of the best local fishing spots. “We really just wanted to create a community of young and enthusiastic anglers who would love to get out there and catch some trout,” Polverari said. Polverari also mentioned how the meetings will include bringing in and discussing some of the newest gear on the market.

As for some other logistics of the club, Schmaier and Polverari explained their wish to go on outings on the weekends to local fishing spots. They mentioned going up north to the Yuba river and the surrounding area. Polverari also mentioned that they may have fly-tying seminars to teach the beginners the basics before taking them out.

When asked about their inspiration for the club, the boys discussed their vision of exposing Menlo to the Bay Area fishing community. “In Silicon Valley you can get wrapped up in technology and you don’t get a chance to experience the outdoors enough,” Tickner said, “Menlo is also way too busy and people need a break sometimes so getting into contact with nature, the river and the pond is a great way to get away from the [stress.]”

The boys also mentioned their summer trip to Sun Valley, Idaho together as a big inspiration for wanting to bring their passion of fly fishing to Menlo. According to Tickner they spent hours on the river, doing what they love, and now they just want to share it with everyone they can.