Student reaction to the election

Students gather for the walkout that occurred on Nov. 14. Staff photo: Zoey Lieberman.  

By Abby Wolfenden

For better or worse, this year’s presidential election is definitely one for the history books. It was a battle between Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate Donald Trump. Gary Johnson, Jill Stein, and Evan McMullin also ran for office. While Clinton won the popular vote, Trump won the election with 290 electoral votes to Clinton’s 232. Following Election Day, many Menlo students have expressed worry and fear for America’s future while others have expressed acceptance or excitement over Trump’s election.

Whether they were a Clinton supporter or anti-Trump, various students felt disappointment in Trump’s victory. Students were particularly invested in this election not only because of the candidates, but also because it was the first time many Menlo students really had a strong opinion on the matter.

During the 2008 and 2012 elections, many students were either too young to have a political opinion or more indifferent towards the election since it was less controversial. “This is the first [election] that I had a cause in and really believed in. Putting all of your faith into one cause and having it let down was really, really disappointing,” junior Kelly Campa said.

Campa has a lot of fear for the future, particularly towards climate change and the safety of women and immigrants. However, Campa feels it’s important not to draw generalizations about Trump’s supporters, even though she does not agree with many of their views. “I don’t think half the country is racist. I just think that we underestimated what half the country wanted,” Campa said.

On a similar note, senior Anna Boonyanit said, “While the results were pretty scary, I’ve only really been exposed to one-side, living in the Bay Area, but I think it is important to also learn about the thoughts of the other half of our nation.” In this sense, many Menlo students are taking a very mature and accepting stance on the results of this year’s election.

Shock and disbelief were also relayed by students after first hearing the results of the election. “It was a growing nervousness that turned into an, ‘Oh my God how did this happen?’ kind of thing,” junior Keeton Martin noted.

“I was just so sure that he was as big of a joke to the rest of the country as he was to me,” senior Bianca Lopez added.

Like Campa, Martin worries about Trump’s effect on different racial and religious groups as well as the LGBTQ community.

The failure of the polls was another aspect of the election the students discussed. “Why were the polls so off was one of my initial reaction questions. How did we not anticipate this,” Martin said.

Martin was not alone in feeling blindsided by the election results.“I was definitely in shock the night of the election and a few days after because none of the polls saw it coming. The result was unexpected, and even the RNC expected Hillary to win,” junior Kathryn Wilson said.

Despite the surprising outcome to the election, there is optimism and acknowledgment permeating the Menlo community. “I thought about it a little bit and I thought, ‘You know, it’s not the end of the world.’ I think a lot of people ended up overreacting a lot, but I don’t think anyone’s going to all of a sudden die. The world won’t become apocalyptic, the sun will rise in the morning. I was [also] disappointed in 2012 [election outcome,] but eventually you kind of just get over it,” senior Jason Scharff said.

Additionally, Scharff commented that Trump may not have the extreme effect everyone initially thought, as he was much more moderate during the Nov. 13 “60 Minutes” show than during his campaign.

Some students were satisfied with Trump’s election, such as sophomore Simon Oros. Oros shared some positive changes that Trump will bring to the United States. “I’m happy to see small businesses get aided with his policies, and since my parents have a small business they’ll be benefited from this. I’m also very anti abortion. I do think that it’d be killing a life to have an abortion, and I think some of [Trump’s] policies might end abortion and stop funding planned parenthood,” Oros said.

Oros agrees with most of Trump’s views and policies, except for Trump’s gross commentary on women and the possibility that Trump may completely overlook climate change.

In addition, Oros mentioned the possible divide in the Republican party as a result of the election. “A lot of people can’t see past his rhetoric to see how he will help America, so I think the Republican party will not want to cooperate with him in some aspects because of the things he’s said in the past. I’m completely against all the things he’s said about women, but I don’t think that has any effect on America,” Oros said.

Likewise, an anonymous junior was also excited by the outcome of the election. “I am super happy about the results of the election, and as much as I think other people are nervous about it I think that we are in good hands and that people are going to see this is actually a good thing for the country,” the junior said. The anonymous student primarily agreed with some of Trump’s economic policies, as well as his strong support of the middle class.

Unlike Oros, the student felt as though there would not be too great of a divide in the Republican party. “I think that [the Republicans] don’t really have a choice but to come together,” the junior said. “Although it was divisive for the Republican party, I think they’re going to try to work together as effectively as they can because they all believe in trying to help the country.”

This election has had a profound impact on the Menlo community beyond just initial reactions, as seen with the student walk out that occurred on Nov. 14 during A Block classes. Schools such as Sacred Heart and Menlo Atherton also participated in their own walk outs.

More than 50 students attended the walk out at Menlo, which was led by our Diversity Club. Students made signs preaching messages of love and peace and stood in front of Stent Hall. The goal was for Menlo students to showcase positivity and inclusivity.

The election has also perpetrated negative comments regarding Trump or his views. “I was surprised to see here at Menlo a lot of students started to feel entitled to make more racist remarks and microaggressions. One of my old friends during class made a really inappropriate joke regarding Donald Trump and Mexicans,” said senior Nolan Jimenez.

Several students have shared their worry about the wellbeing of immigrants and people of color. “I personally am really scared about what’s going to happen to my family because my mom is an immigrant and is not a citizen,” Lopez said.

“I’m deeply disappointed in our country and it’s citizens for electing a man who has so blatantly been xenophobic, anti-women, racist, homophobic, and all-around not fit to run any country, let alone a country as powerful as the United States,” senior Sunia Sadeghi said.

Although Jimenez disliked the results of elections, rather than letting it get him down, he instead views it optimistically. “I think this is an opportunity for more students of color at Menlo to unite and fight against these oppressions. However, it will be a harder battle to fight now that [Trump] is president,” Jimenez said.

All in all, no matter what the future will hold with Trump’s presidency, Menlo students are ready to embrace it with maturity, courage, and love.