Stem fair garners successful first year

Ms. Banks presents to students, teachers, parents, and alumni at the STEM fair. Lauren Yang/Coa

M-BEST organizes the first annual STEM Fair with successful results.

Lauren Yang | Staff Reporter
Photo by Lauren Yang

On Oct. 25, Menlo held its first ever Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) fair. The fair featured many events, such as presentations from Menlo students of all grades and demonstrations in the Whitaker Lab. Parents, students, teachers, and alumni were all encouraged to attend the event.

Students presented on various projects they had been working on. Upper School Director of M-BEST (Menlo School’s Bridge to Engineering, Science, and Technology) Joanie Banks-Hunt was one of the main organizers of this event. Banks believes that many students accomplish impressive projects without recognition from their peers. With this problem in mind, Banks had a very clear goal. “The purpose [of the STEM fair] was to inspire and educate the community about what our students are doing grades 6-12 outside of class,” Banks said.

There was an emphasis on including students of all grades. “I had to focus on what was happening in grades 6-12, that was a goal, [and] I thought it was inspiring for the 6th graders to see where the 12th graders were,” Banks said.

Activities included presentations from numerous students in both the middle and high school. Presentations ranged from a project about the water crisis in India by juniors Nikhita Kunwar and Emma Brady to a self-constructed Darth Vader soundboard by sixth grader Sareena Sandhu.

The fair featured a tour of the Whitaker Lab, where participants learned about the laser cutter and iOS programming. In addition, M-BEST teamed up with Connections Beyond the Classroom, or CBC, so that participants could learn about the various internships that students have completed. “[In addition to that, people saw] what they were doing in the 6th grade robotics and […what was] being done within the classrooms and in the robotics club,” Banks said.

The fair was organized by Banks and members of M-BEST. Seniors Nicola and Kenzie Mayer contributed to much of the preparation. “They did a lot of the work […and] had a lot of good ideas of how to organize it,” Banks said. In addition, Banks used input from middle and high school math and science faculty members to help shape the fair.

Although some thought the STEM fair could be improved for next year, participants thoroughly enjoyed this event. “It could have been better if more people had shown up, especially from the high school. […Even so,] It was really neat to see people from all grades in the school getting involved in STEM,” Kunwar said. Sophomore Mina Mahmood enjoyed learning about others. “It was really cool for everyone to share [their projects] in one forum, ” Mahmood said.

With the success of this year’s STEM fair, Banks hopes to make this event an annual occurrence.