Track & Field Breaks Records

Photo courtesy of Steve Pretre

Junior Landon Pretre knew he’d broken the CCS 3200 meter record the moment he stepped over the finish line at Arcadia Invitational on April 6. “It was a crazy, crazy race, one of the fastest races in high school history,” Pretre said. In last place after the first mile, Pretre used a strong second mile to move up in a stacked field from around the country and ended up finishing in 15th place out of 37 runners.

Along with Pretre, the entire boys distance team has performed well this season. Junior Will Hauser joined Pretre in the top-10 of the CCS 1600 meter rankings, and formed a quartet with freshman brother Henry Hauser and junior Jared Saal to post the second fastest 4×800 meter relay time in the section. “The boys distance team has been really fast this season,” Pretre said. “Not just the top runners running well, but we have a lot of overall depth.”

As for the girls side, senior Summer Young cleared 5’8” in the high jump at St. Francis Invitational on March 16, eclipsing her school record of 5’5” set last year. “It literally just didn’t feel real. But it was really fun and I wouldn’t trade it for the world,” Young said. 

Young teamed up with sophomore Sophie Housser and juniors Angelica Chou and Scarlett Bundy to win the 4×100 meter relay at WBAL 2 and with Chou and Bundy again as well as junior Veronica Taira to win the 4×400 meter relay the same meet. “At first, we couldn’t really do handoffs, but now that we’ve won our first attempt, we’ve seen a lot of improvement,” Housser said.

Housser started track this year and has enjoyed her time so far. “I really like that I get to compete in different events and try new things each practice,” Housser said. “I get to see a lot of improvement, which is really nice.”