Giving back during the holidays

Christmas involves present, but you are happiest when…

Lucy Heneghan | Assistant Sports and Copy Editor

During the holiday season, it is a great time for both giving and receiving. As a teenager it is almost instinctive to first think about the aspect of “getting” during the holiday season. Our minds spin with the idea of new vineyard vines jackets, an iPhone 6, or other materialistic things. In my family, I am expected to get gifts for all members of my family. I also find gifts for close friends, and take part in activities such as secret Santa. However, this holiday season I have spent time thinking about what I can do for people that I don’t already know. What about the people beyond my circle of friends? What about those that don’t have either aspect of the holidays: giving or getting? Many organizations around the world work very hard during the holiday season to make December a great time for those that can’t afford fancy gifts or expensive Christmas dinners. Here are ways that you can help them and give back during this holiday season:

Connect with a local homeless shelter: Donate food or help serve meals to homeless men and women. The shelters are located all around this area, and are closer than one might think.

Donate clothing: Many organizations such as Good Will (located on Santa Cruz Ave) and Savers (located in Redwood city) accept donated clothing and sell them at a discounted price.

Donate money to charitable organizations: Any amount of money is significant when it is donated genuinely. Walk out of the door of Nordstrom and put money in the Salvation Army bins, or donate online.

Be Santa’s helper: Visit a local post office and request letters to Santa to adopt. These letters are from low-income families that ask for things as simple as a pair of shoes. Selecting, wrapping, and sending the gift to the address given in the letter is a great way to give the less fortunate something to open on Christmas day. Learn more about the program.

Visit the elderly: The holiday season can be a very hard time for the elderly that have suffered the loss of family members. Visit an elderly home to play a game with some residents and brighten their day. Search for elderly homes located in your zip code here.