Menlo dominates defensively in critical league win over King’s Academy

Thomas Brown was phenomenal on defense and was critical to Menlo’s 45-35 victory over the The King’s Academy. Photo courtesy of Thomas Brown.

By Eric Chang

On Jan. 10, Menlo Varsity Boys Basketball dominated defensively in a 45-35 win over King’s Academy, putting the Knights at 3-0 so far in the West Bay Athletic League. Menlo put on an impressive performance as a team and, amazingly, allowed only 12 points in the second-half of the game.

Standout players in this game include juniors Riley Woodson and Thomas Brown. Woodson had a phenomenal 19 rebounds in addition to 10 points scored and five blocks. His contribution to the defense is what allowed Menlo to shut down the TKA offense almost throughout the game.

Brown also contributed in a huge way on the defensive end. He guarded TKA’s top three-point shooter, Kolson Frame, and although Brown had a difficult first period, he persevered and shut Frame down for the next three periods. Furthermore, Brown scored 12 points, had three assists, and was an overall key player for Menlo.

This game was a great representation of Menlo’s defensive strength. After falling behind in the first period, Menlo truly showed their ability to fight back.

With a powerful start to the season, Menlo will next be playing Pinewood on Thursday Jan. 12 at Menlo School.