Traveling Tales: Thailand

Elephants in Thailand, Courtesy of Nicola Mayer

Traveling offers formative educational experiences which transcend mere book learning

Nicola Mayer | Staff Reporter

7700 miles from home, 12 Flights, 48 hours of traveling, 5 countries, 1 amazing trip. This past summer I went to Thailand with twenty strangers through Rustic Pathways. I’ve been out of the country before, but never so far away and never for so long. I boarded my plane to LAX and in my 4 hour layover I slowly started to meet the people I would be spending the next couple weeks with. I have known most of my current friends for 3 years, some for 6, so meeting new people and trying to be outgoing, but not overbearing, was challenging. It would have been enough of a challenge to meet twenty new people under ideal circumstances, but throw in uncomfortable plane seats, bad food and general exhaustion, people had to try very hard to be pleasant. After all the annoying but necessary travel was over and we finally landed at our destination airport I literally let out a sigh of relief. Looking back on my travels, there were obviously some things I would not like to do again such as having a ‘fear factor’ night with items bought from the local market and spending five minutes a night applying anti-itch cream, but there are mostly moments that I never want to forget; that trip was full of once in a lifetime experiences that I will treasure forever. It’s pretty hard to forget the first time you get on top of an elephant or the way the sky looks lit up with the lanterns all your friends just released or the playful attitudes of baby tigers. Driving through the lush, endless country side I saw some of the prettiest views I’ve ever seen and bargaining my way through the biggest market in Thailand was a challenging, somewhat stressful, but surreal experience. Many people left the trip comparing their souvenirs, editing their Instagrams and talking about how excited they were to get back to the “real world.” While I thoroughly enjoyed the selection of Thai pants I bought and couldn’t get enough pictures of my elephant, I took away much more. Traveling is about immersing yourself in a different culture, learning about how the rest of the world lives, it is easy to get seduced by Atherton’s glitz and glamor and to take the bubble we live in for granted. Seeing people living on virtually nothing makes think about how some people dropped $600 on a prom dress. Seeing people maintaining such a simple lifestyle makes you appreciate everything you have and also consider how important the small things are. Tropical cruises and extravagant European travels are fantastic trips, but I think it would be very impactful for everyone to visit rural country-sides, learn how to adapt to and respect different cultures and go as far away from their comfort zones as they can.