College Choices

College+Choices

How important is a prestigious college? It depends who you ask

Nicola Mayer | Staff Reporter

Ask a Menlo parent and they’ll say “it doesn’t matter where you go to school as long as you’re happy.” Another parent may say “college will determine the rest of your life, you need to pick wisely.” Ask a grandparent who is out of the loop on the college process and they will assure you that you’ll get in anywhere you apply. Ask your younger cousin and they won’t know what you’re talking about.

College is a time to go out and explore new things, travel somewhere different and become independent. However, that doesn’t stop Menlo students from aspiring to go only 10 minutes away, to one of the most prestigious colleges in the country. For last year’s seniors, Stanford accepted 5.07% of students that applied. People who go to Menlo grow up in a competitive environment and are surrounded by budding actors, multi-sport varsity athletes and entrepreneurial students who have somehow found the time to start their own businesses; so it makes sense that they would want a college that would provide the same.

Yet in the grand scheme of things, college does not define you. It might be wise to take a lesson from that cousin who hardly knows anything about the college process. You could tell them you’re going to any school and they will be happy that you accomplished something. Getting into Harvard doesn’t prove your worth. Making the decision to go to college has already determined that you want to try and make something out of your life.

The choice between a name brand school or small relatively unknown liberal arts school? East coast or west coast? Small fish in a big pond or big fish in a small pond? Ultimately it comes down to choices, choices that should ultimately be your own. Choices free of outside influence that will, as cliché as it sounds, make you happy.