Teacher Profile: Cara Plamondon

Did you know that english teacher Cara Plamondon helps out with the cross country team? Find out more about her!

Alex Edidin | Staff Reporter
Zoey Lieberman | Staff Reporter
Photo courtesy Cara Plamondon

CoA: What was your first job?
CP: I would say my first job was actually filling in for my brother on his paper route. It was in the summertime that I had to do it, when it was 90 degrees and humid. So at 3:00 in the afternoon in Boston, a stack of 35 papers and I went on a little journey around the neighborhood. And back in the day, god I’m going to sound so old saying this, I would collect money for the weekly subscriptions, and I would get tips. A quarter was jackpot back in the day because I was ten! At the end of collection week I would have like five bucks in my pocket and feel like the king of the world.

CoA: What is your favorite song?
CP: You guys, that’s so brutally tough. It’s gonna be Led Zepplin. Why don’t we put Led Zepplin “Stairway to Heaven” on that one.

CoA: What was your worst subject in school?
CP: Tenth grade Chemistry with Mr. Penny. Enough said.

CoA: Sometimes we interview Math teachers and they say their worst subject in school was Math. We have a lot of teachers teaching their own worst subjects. (laughs)
CP: Well, I will say this. I did take AP English my senior year, and it was brutal. We didn’t have a rotating block schedule, and it was the last class of the day everyday, and I had a free the class before. And, every Monday, we had to turn in a five page paper-shoot me. My weekends were shot for the entire year. Miserable […] it was crazy. Least enjoyable class I took was AP English, I can’t believe I’m saying it. Who’s going to enjoy a five page paper every week?! I didn’t!

CoA: What is your favorite book?
CP: Another tough one. This is what I’m going to say: my junior year abroad, I read a bunch of books that were like “bucket list books”, and one of those books was Gone With the Wind. And, it did blow me away. I loved it […] I loved it! I can’t say I have a favorite book, but a book that just transported me when I read it was Gone With the Wind. I couldn’t wait until when I could start reading it again.

CoA: What is your pet peeve?
CP: Bad drivers.

CoA: Worst mistake as a parent?
CP: The irony of being a parent of an infant is most injuries kids sustain, whether it be falling back on their head or knocking themselves on something, it could be largely prevented by a parent. […] Like when my kid was learning to sit up he would fall back and hit his head and I couldn’t stop it. I would also say what I learned between my first and my second is that hungry children do not sleep through the night.

CoA: Okay, what is your most embarrassing moment?
CP: Childhood memories, many embarrassing moments, […] but in this past Knight School, well I have driven motor boats and I have thousands of hours driving, but during the Knight School I was distracted and did not realize that the boat was still tied to the dock. […] It is like leaving the gas station without taking the pump out. The cleats that were securing it came right out of the dock, right in front of all the sailors, I felt like a total doofus.