5 Days in the Bay

Don’t know what to do this weekend? Check out this article for ideas. Creative commons image from runner310.

by Ellie Lieberman | Co-Spread Editor & Maudie Frye | Staff Reporter

Day 1: Mr. Holmes Bakehouse
Mr. Holmes Bakehouse has been all the craze lately in the Bay, and it wouldn’t be much of a surprise to see a celebrity blogger or even friend raving about the bakery on social media. This place is a hit because any pastry you order will make you come back to this hidden gem. Make sure to come at off hours, so you don’t have to wait in line!
Suggested order: Cruffin or caramel donut

image07

Photo courtesy of Thomas Hawk

Day 2: Ice Skating at Union Square or the Embarcadero
Ice Skating in San Francisco is back! Starting Nov 3, you can begin to embrace the holidays as you glide across the ice in the heart of the city. If you’re looking for a city getaway with friends or evening out on the town, make sure to stop by the rink.

image08
Creative commons photo from John Martinez Pavliga

Day 3: Shopping on Fillmore Street
Located in Pacific Heights, Fillmore street brings an upbeat vibe to San Francisco. With a wide variety of boutiques and restaurants, everyone is destined to find something they love on Fillmore Street. You can either spend the whole day browsing through various boutiques such as Scotch & Soda, Jigsaw London, or visit restaurants like Sift Cupcakes (a huge hit), or The Grove. Your day will be well spent.

image06
Photo courtesy of Far Out City

Day 4: Pica Pica Arepa Kitchen
When most people feel adventurous to try a new food, Venezuelan cuisine isn’t the first to come to mind. However, Pica Pica Arepa Kitchen should be the Latin cuisine on the map. Their famous dish is the “arepa,” a corn or flour pancake which is often served with beef or chicken. Once you try an arepa, you will never want to have a regular sandwich again.
Suggested Order: Shredded beef with a corn arepa, and yuca fries.

image09

Creative commons image from jpellgen

Day 5: Bike across the Golden Gate Bridge
When the weather is nice and when you have an free afternoon, it would be worthwhile to bike over the Golden Gate Bridge. This bike ride is not super challenging, so people of all athletic abilities will be able to do it. Not only is it a great and unusual way to get exercise, but the view is spectacular. Since you aren’t in a car, you can stop and admire the views from the bridge that usually get overlooked while driving. Bikes can be rented anywhere in the Marina, and you get them all day! Since The Bridge leads into Sausalito, it’s the perfect way to transport yourself to explore this cute and artsy town!

image03

Photo courtesy of FunCheapSF.