Christmas from a Jew’s point of view

People always wonder if Jews wish they celebrated Christmas

Alex Edidin | Staff Reporter
Photo by Becky Swig

Somebody once came up to me and said, “What do Jews even do on Christmas?” At that moment I realized that Jews really do fulfill every stereotype of Christmas. Yes, I have gone to the movies on Christmas. Yes, I have ordered Chinese food and watched Netflix on Christmas. And yes, I have been on an airplane simply using the holiday as a travel day.

People also always wonder if I wish I celebrated Christmas. To be completely honest, I have always wanted to know what it feels like sitting on the top of a staircase waiting to open presents on the morning of Dec 25. Or what is it like putting ornaments and a star on a tree. Or even cooking Christmas dinner with the family around. But I would not say that I wish I celebrated the holiday, since I know that during Hanukkah, Jews have their own traditions.

America has essentially turned Chanukkah into a form of Christmas with more days and blue opposed to red and green. In Israel, Chanukkah is a minor holiday, about the same importance of Tu Bishvat (a holiday that you have probably never even heard of). But in the United States Chanukkah is essentially Christmas – after all some families have a present-per-day tradition, making for a minimum of eight in all which is not all bad when there is absolutely no significance of giving gifts on the holiday, other than to mimic Christmas.

But more seriously, Chanukah in the United States does fill an important role in Jewish households because it enables them to feel the importance of the Holiday season and allows them to spend time with their families.